5/26/10

The 12 Rules of Eating


The 12 Rules of Eating

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.

Haha…there are no rules! But wouldn’t it be easier to choose what to eat if there were?

I know some of you may be struggling with eating raw (or not!) You may be wondering exactly what or what not to eat, or if it is OK to eat some cooked food, or something not vegan.

I usually don’t voice my opinion on this subject, well, because it is just that…my opinion, and the only person directly affected by what I eat is me.

I must admit, I am fascinated to learn why others eat a diet that includes lots of raw food. It is also very helpful for me to see what works for others. And, of course, I love to see what you are eating!!!

Some of you may remember that I am the only person in my household that eats mostly raw food. I chose to start eating raw food for my health several years ago. Although I did not have any health problems, I felt that eating raw was the best way to prevent future health problems. If possible, I would like to avoid some of the illnesses that run in my family. We all have a survival instinct, and mine really kicked in! That, in a nutshell, is why I eat mostly raw.

When I started to eat raw, I did not have any support. As a matter of fact, almost everyone around me did not understand why I wasn’t eating the way I used to. I could not even get my hubby to try my new raw creations. I was, and still am, all alone in my raw food world…haha!

I know there may be someone reading this, who might not have any support from those around them. I hope if you made the choice to eat raw for any reason you will find the strength to stick with it. {{{HUGS}}}

In order to keep eating this way, I needed to have a very strong belief that eating raw was best for my health. I know that by staying healthy, it will also benefit my family since I am a mother, wife, and daughter. All my research on staying healthy told me to eat lots and lots of raw, organic food.

It all boils (or dehydrates) down to one simple thought…

Nothing that anyone else eats affects MY health.

Now, I don’t mean to say that in a nasty way, it is just the truth. It is what helps me to stay raw.

In my perfekt:) world, everyone would be eating mostly raw, vegan food. We would all probably be healthier for it, and maybe insurance and taxes would go down, and the world would be a better place to live. So in a way, what everyone eats actually does affect me.

But I only have control over what I put in my mouth.

Naturally some of the food choices my family members make affect me directly, but they are old enough now to make their own decisions.

We are all different, with different needs and tastes, and different reasons to eat what we choose to eat.

Even if we are all eating raw food, you may choose to eat different things than I do.

Eating is very personal.

I alone am responsible for what I eat.

Now, my compassion for animals and the environment factors into eating raw vegan food. It makes me think twice about how I eat, but I never forget the main reason for me to eat the way I do, my health.

I like to think of us all at big huge buffet, picking and choosing different things to put on our plate…but sitting down at the same table to eat:)

Since you have been kind enough to read this little semi-rant, here is a quick little recipe for you! And remember, I luv ya no matter what you eat!

Trail Mix Truffles

1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4- 1/2 cup of happy trail mix, chopped in f.p.

Happy Trail Mix:
equal parts of cashews, pistachios, goji berries, mulberries, hunza raisins, and cacao nibs. I measure 1/2 a cup of each ingredient and keep in a mason jar.

1. In a food processor fitted with the "S" blade process dates until fine.

2. Add cacao powder and process until sticky. You can add a splash of water or a dash of vanilla if needed.

3. Pulse in walnuts until well chopped and mixture holds together.

3. Shape into 12 one inch balls, and roll in chopped trail mix.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love Angela how honest you are about things! Your post was beautifully done and those Truffles are on my list to make...thank you Sweetie!

xoxo

P.S. can we come and live in your world too!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't feel like a rant ~ More like freedom! ;-) Your creations are a marvel. Thanks for posting the recipes and beautiful pictures!

bitt said...

drool-worthy truffles! will put on the "must make" list.

thanks for your honesty about what you eat. i feel similarly! with a caveat that bodies change and need different things at different times.

i am sorry it feel so alone for you, i hope you know you are not all alone because your readers are here for you.

Huggs back.

VeganLisa said...

When I started eating mostly raw a lot of people in my life got really concerned. I am constantly amazed by how defensive other people can get when you change your diet. Now that people see that I'm healthy and happy they aren't as negative about my choices. I try to be a joyful example of what it means to live according to my own values - and encourage others to do the same for themselves. I've found that to be the most positive way to approach these emotional discussions.
((HUG))

Anonymous said...

lol! Love your rules. :) I do have one rule; if it tastes bad, spit it out!

LOve & Sunshine!
Connie

Julie Lynn said...

Not much of a rant darling...you'll have to try harder to "rant" ;-)

You are so precious. It is wonderful that you have been able to stick to a high raw diet even though you are the only person in your family doing so. I applaud you.

Freedom. We love it. =)

Sarah said...

I've learned to throw out all the "rules" and life became much simpler. Although I do agree with Connie's only rule ;~)

I love how you came into raw. I chose this path for the same reason. Fortunately my family was willing to join me, but I know if they ever choose a different path then I will continue to walk mine with joy. I love the buffet analogy.

Your recipe sounds yummy :)

Hugs,
Sarah

La Mama Naturale' said...

Hi Angela,
Love this post! Very well thought out and expressed. You are truly an amazing woman! Those truffles look yum, yum, yum! Would totally join your rawkin' world in a heart beat!! ((hugs))

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) said...

I love this. It's so true, we are the only ones that know what's best for us, no one else!

That trail mix is my favoriteeee mix. I had some yesterday. :)

Pure2raw twins said...

Love love this post! You are so right that we are only responsible for our own health, although we would love to help make others healthier too! Love your "no" 12 rules of eating!!! xoxo

Julia said...

I just loved this post! I've been very lucky that my family supports my decision to change the way I eat. And because of this (and since I cook) they've changed how they eat too. Not to the same degree but i know my family is eating healthier then they were a year ago.

Lori said...

I really enjoyed reading this post! Such a positive way to look at your eating (or others'). And yes, you are 110% correct: Eating is personal! I ate a raw food only diet for about 8 months and really liked it. But it was hard at the same time because, like you, I was alone. Others thought I was nuts (and probably was... love me some nut butters!) but that was ok. I've slowly gone back to eating more of a vegan diet but still hold onto the values of eating for my ultimate health. To each their own. Love this post!
Also, LOVE that recipe! So simple. So elegant. So YUMMY looking! I'm for sure making that tonight! Or a variant of!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand what you're talking about here. I still have some friends that think i'm unhealthy and malnourished for being vegan but they in turn go to McDonalds and have no problem with that. However I am grateful that they care about me enough to express their concern.

Question for you, what do you do when you're in a potluck situation where you know there will be lots of things you can't eat?
And do you ever go out for meals to non-raw places for the social aspect?

Angela said...

Hi jremps!

Thanks for your great questions. Hope my answers will help.

If I am contributing something to the potluck, I bring a fresh fruit and/or vegetable platter. I make sure it is colorful and add things like my olive penguins or bountiful bouquet flowers, so it is more festive:) Everyone seems to love a watermelon basket filled with fresh cut fruit. I will also have something like my raw triple thick chocolate shake before I go:)

I eat out twice each weekend in a non-raw restaurant. We usually pick a place that at least has a salad bar, or I order something like a dinner salad off the menu with a few adjustments. I am not 100% raw, and I don't have any food allergies to worry about, so that gives me a little margin of error:) Monday morning, I go right back to my lovely raw food.

So, that's what I do...I hope you will find what works for you when faced with these same questions:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails