8/12/09

Brunch!

Devilled Chestnut Mushrooms on Toast!

If you signed up for The Raw Chef Russell James' eZine you most likely got this new recipe in your email yesterday. I love to try new recipes, as you may have noticed:)
This recipe also includes a raw aubergine(eggplant) bacon.

I started the bacon last night, slicing an eggplant with my electric food slicer, and marinating them for a few hours in a blend of oil, cumin, garlic, onion, tamari, sweetener(maple syrup), and chipotle pepper. I have made lots of eggplant bacon, and loved to find a new recipe for it. I noticed when I made Russell's kale salad that it had a slight BLT flavor from the chipotle, and even came up with a new version of my own bacon using it! This made a crisp , spicy bacon:)

I have never come across chestnut mushrooms while shopping, but saw online that cremini (aka baby bella) or portobello may be used as a substitute, so I used those. They are marinated for 2 hours in oil and tamari, then dehydrated for 2 hours. I was never a huge fan of raw mushrooms, but am pleasantly surprised that I have found quite a few ways to enjoy them recently!

This recipe has a wonderful looking toast. I "cheated" a little here, because I used Russell's nut free bread I made last week. Both breads contain similar ingredients, so I thought it would make a good substitute. I will try the toast recipe next time I make bread:)

The last component is a lovely sauce. This is a creamy blend of cashews, nutritional yeast, paprika, shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, and water.

To serve, the toast is topped with sliced tomato, the mushrooms, and a dollop of cream sauce. Three slices of bacon are added, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley. I also added a dash of paprika for color.

Thank you to chef Russell James for this amazing recipe! I enjoyed it very much:)

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Wow, I have to say I like your photos better than Russells (which are indeed nice too). Feeling hungry at work now..that would sure hit the spot! :-)

evergreen said...

Hi Joyce!
Thank you so much for the nice compliment!
Russell sure does have some wonderful recipes.
Hope you were able to have lunch by now:)
Angela

Related Posts with Thumbnails